The Haunting of Hill House is an American supernatural horror drama television series of 10 episodes, based on The Haunting of Hill House, a gothic horror novel by Shirley Jackson. This TV series is directed by Mike Flanagan. It’s the first entry in the anthology series of The Haunting. It premiered on Netflix on October 9, 2018.
The Haunting of Hill House Cast
The Haunting of Hill House has a very diverse cast.
The Haunting of Hill House main cast includes:
- Michiel Huisman (as Steven Crain)
- Carla Gugino (as Olivia Crain)
- Henry Thomas (as Young Hugh Crain)
- Elizabeth Reaser (Shirley Crain)
- Oliver Jackson-Cohen (as Luke Crain)
- Kate Seigel (as Theodora Crain)
- Victoria Pedretti (as Nell Crain)
- Lulu Wilson (as Young Shirley)
- Mckenna Grace (as Young Theo)
- Paxton Singleton (as Young Steven)
- Julian Hilliard (as Young Luke)
- Violet McGraw (as Young Nell)
- Timothy Hutton (as Hugh Crain)
Recurring cast of The Haunting of Hill House:
- Annabeth Gish (as Clara Dudley)
- Robert Longstreet (as Horace Dudley)
- Anthony Ruivivar (as Kevin Harris)
- Samantha Sloyan (as Leigh Crain)
- Levy Tran (as Trish Park)
- James Lafferty (as Ryan Quale)
- James Flanagan (as Funeral Director)
- Jordane Christie (as Arthur Vance)
- Elizabeth Becka (as Aunt Janet)
- Logan Medina (as Jayden Harris)
- May Badr (as Allie Harris)
- Anna Enger (as Joey)
- Fedor Steer (as William Hill)
- Olive Elise Abercrombie (as Abigail Dudley)
- Catherine Parker (as Poppy Hill)
- Mimi Gould (as Hazel Hill)
- Katie Carpenter (as Stacey)
- Arianne Martin (as Max’s Mother)
- Trace Masters (as Max)
- David Shae (as Max’s Father)
The Haunting of Hill House Plot
The Haunting of Hill House, the first entry in the anthology series is an adaption of the horror novel The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, though the plot of this series is quite divergent from the one in the novel.
This TV series is a terrifying and dramatic story about Crain siblings when the memories of their past come to haunt them. In the 1992 summer, Mr. and Mrs. Crain, along with their children- Steven, Shirley, Theodora, Luke, and Eleanor- move into Hill House to renovate their mansion and build their own house. But then due to unexpected repairs, they have to stay longer and they start experiencing paranormal activities. While these horrors reach their peak, the family fled from the house.
After twenty-six years, the Crain siblings and their father reunite after another mishap happens, and they are forced to return to the haunted Hill House to confront the skeletons they’ve kept locked away for 26 years.
The Haunting of Hill House Explanation
Here’s an in-depth explanation of the TV series:
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 1: Steven sees a Ghost
As Steven is investigating a ghost story for his novel, he is quite doubtful and then receives a call from his sister that starts a chain of fateful events.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 2: Open Casket
When the haunting tragedy of the family stirs up memories of tragic losses, bringing trauma and reminding Shirley of her first brush with death. The fears, long left behind, are now awakening.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 3: Touch
Now comes in Theo, who is now keenly perceptive, sees shades of herself in a young patient, a girl who is troubled and haunted by the menacing grin of “Mr. Smiley”.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 4: The Twin Thing
As Eleanor and Luke, the Crain twins, share a psychic connection, Eleanor never fully recovered from the haunting she experienced and now Luke is panic-stricken as he tries to save a friend while sensing that Nell is in danger.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 5: The Bent-Neck Lady
Now, comes the “Bent-Neck Lady”, the horror of Eleanor, who has an unsettling silhouette and has been haunting Nell for the last 26 years. Now, this dark spectre is calling Nell “home” back.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 6: Two Storms
It’s a reunion for all the wrong reasons in the main hall of the house, when Hugh flies in for a funeral, coming face to face with his children on a stormy night. As Nelle cannot be found anywhere, later it is revealed that they were not able to hear her screams, and then Luke promises to never leave her side.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 7: Eulogy
“Eulogy”, a speech written in praise of a dead, now as the Crain members are about to bid their final goodbyes, the secrets of Mr. Dudley are exposed in the walls, a dead body found inside attempting to scratch his way out.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 8: Witness Marks
A familiar horror revisits Shirley and Theo on Halloween night as Nell begins screaming, Hugh and Steve go looking for Luke, who disappeared on his way to a deadly task.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 9: Screaming Meemies
As the hauntings in Hill House peak, the cause of the Crain family to flee from their home is unveiled. While struggling to differentiate between dreams and reality, Olivia fears for her children’s safety, as a mother should according to Mrs. Dudley.
- The Haunting of Hill House Episode 10: Silence Lay Steadily
The Crain family returns to Hill House and is forced to confront old ghosts and the forces that drive from the Red Room, as its contents are finally revealed.
The Haunting of Hill House Season 2: The Haunting of Bly Manor
The Haunting of Bly Manor is the second entry to the anthology series, The Haunting, by Mike Flanagan. It is a TV series again starring Victoria Pedretti, but a different character. It premiered on October 9, 2020.
This story revolves around a young au pair who is hired by a man to look after his niece and nephew as they come under his care.
The Haunting of Hill House Book
The Haunting of Hill House, written by Shirley Jackson, is a horror novel that revolves around four strangers- Dr. Montague, Luke, Eleanor Vance, and Theodora.
Dr. Montague, a parapsychologist, hopes to cause a sensation in his field by scientifically proving the existence of the supernatural.
Eleanor is a 32-year-old woman who has witnessed the presence of a poltergeist in this house as a child.
Theodora, a subject of Dr. Montague’s lab studies, is marked for having psychic abilities.
Luke Sanderson is the heir of the Hill House after his aunt dies and Luke’s aunt has sent him to look after the house and discourage the ghost hunters.
Over time, the Hill House proves to be extremely haunted and possessed. It’s a very terrifying horror novel and is a must-read for anyone who’s horror-obsessed.
The Haunting of Hill House, TV series, is a must-watch for those who love horror and supernatural stuff- but get ready because you are sure to have nightmares after watching this.